Thursday, January 26, 2012

January with Henry

Well Henry finally got his Dinner with Dad - the wait had been killing him.  For once we actually stuck with Thursday night.  Once again, I got home from work exhausted but as I drove in the driveway, Henry came running out the door to greet me and asked when we were heading out and I said NOW.  Exhaustion gone, adrenaline pumping!

Henry got very creative and put a new twist on Dinner with Dad.  He decided he wanted pizza .... seems ordinary right, but there is a twisst.......wait for it ...... pizza at the bowling alley inbetween bowling games.  Works for me, off to the alleys we went.

First stopped at Paradise Lanes for some open bowling as advertised on their website.  Plus I had a coupon from my Entertainment book.  Well lo' and behold they did not have any open bowling available as advertised, hmmpf.  So we headed to Castle Lanes to see if they wanted to be part of our special night.  Not so much and Henry noted - gee they were not real friendly about it.

Not to be deterred there was one more chance so off ot Elmwood Plaza Bowling Center.  YES, there was room on the lanes for two fine kegglers.  From my point of view, the best part of the night happened driving between bowling alleys.  I was trying to prep Henry for the possible dissapointment of not being able to find open bowling and asked him if just dinner would be ok.  He said "I don't care, the big thing is I am getting a night out and some time with my Dad!"  Got me all verklempt.

Unlike the other Dinners with Dad thus far, this one was not about conversation, it was about knockin' those pins down.  We played three games with bumpers - although they honestly were not used much.  Henry came through with games of 124, 87 and 109.  I had 170, 153 and 138.  So with agreed upon 50 pin handicap, Henry won 2 out of 3 games and he won the total score by 9 pins!  Well done young man.  And yes, we did enjoy a tasty cheese and sausage pizza too.

Pizza and bowling = $37.45.  Time with Henry = Priceless!

1 comment: